- Job Title
- Postdoctoral Researcher (Osbourn Group)
- Post Number
- Closing Date
- 6 Jan 2019
- Starting Salary
- £31,250 - £35,400
- Hours per week
- Expected/Ideal Start Date
- 01 Feb 2019
- Months Duration
Main Purpose of the Job
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Scientist with expertise in natural product chemistry. The post involves extraction, analysis, purification and structural determination of medicinally important complex triterpene glycosides . The successful candidate will work with other researchers within the Osbourn lab as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
Further details of this project and the laboratory can be found at https://www.jic.ac.uk/scientists/anne-osbourn/.
The successful applicant will be line-managed by Professor Anne Osbourn. The position is one of four postdoctoral positions funded by a Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) Super Follow-on Fund award for translational research. The successful applicant will work closely with this team and with John Innes Centre Metabolite Services.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Extraction, analysis, purification and strutcural determination of complex triterpenes (saponins)
- Prepare results, reports and manuscripts for publication in leading scientific journals and other relevant media
- Disseminate research findings though presentations to various audiences at internal, national and international meetings
- Collaborate with colleagues within the Institute in the development of original and world-class research, including contributing to research proposals and grant applications
- Liaise with industry and other external stakeholders
- Ensure research and record keeping is carried out in accordance with good practice, Scientific Integrity and in compliance with local policies and any legal requirements
- Contribute to the smooth running of the group, including the effective use of resources, supervision of visitors to the laboratory and assisting with training others, encouraging scientific excellence
- Continually strive for excellence, seeking out and acting on feedback and relevant learning and development opportunities
- As agreed with line manager, any other duties commensurate with the nature of the role
Education & Qualifications
- PhD in natural product chemistry, biochemistry or a related discipline, or equivalent
Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Experience of GC-MS and LC-MS
- Natural product chemistry, including extraction, purification and structural elucidation
- Demonstrated experience of determination of complex structures by NMR
- Extensive experience in natural product chemistry
- Previous experience of compound extraction, purification and structural determination
- Experience of GC-MS and/or LC-MS; NMR, metabolic profiling/metabolomics
- Experience of analysing terpenes
Interpersonal & Communication Skills
- Evidence of intellectual independence, rigour and creativity
- Experience of delivering oral presentation to scientific audiences
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Promotes equality and values diversity
- Able to present a positive image of self and the Institute, promoting both the international reputation and public engagement aims of the Institute
- Willingness to work outside standard working hours when required
Who We Are
John Innes Centre
The John Innes Centre is an independent, international centre of excellence in plant science and microbiology, carrying out fundamental and strategic research, to train scientists and making our findings available to society.
Our research makes use of a wide range of disciplines in the biological and chemical sciences including; cell biology, biochemistry, chemistry, genetics and molecular biology.
We pride ourselves on being a welcoming and inclusive working environment for all. We have a diverse and multicultural scientific community and thrive on our European and international links. We are proud to hold a prestigious Athena SWAN Gold award, recognising the impact of our work in promoting gender equality in science. We are also a proud member of the Stonewall Diversity Champion’s programme and, as a Disability Confident employer, guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the post.
The John Innes Centre is a registered charity (No. 223852), limited by guarantee (registered in England No. 511709) and is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
The aims of research in the Department of Metabolic Biology are to understand the basis of diversity in plant metabolism, and the interplay between metabolism and plant nutrition, development and responses to disease and stress. This information underpins the development of sustainable agriculture and bio-based industries.
The Postdoctoral Scientist appointed to this position will be based in the Department of Metabolic Biology at the John Innes Centre.
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Laboratory of Anne Osbourn at the John Innes Centre (JIC).
The postholder will be responsible for the extraction, analysis, purification and structural determination of medicinally important structurally complex plant triterpene glycosides (saponins).
The successful applicant will join a team led by Professor Anne Osbourn at JIC working on metabolic engineering of plant-derived natural products. The JIC has state-of-the-art facilities for small molecule analysis.
The ideal candidate:
The John Innes Centre is a world-class Institute and is looking to appoint an exceptional candidate with a PhD or equivalent in natural product chemistry, biochemistry or a related discipline. We will be providing the job-holder with opportunities to develop their technical and transferable skills during this assignment, by way of training programmes, coaching and mentoring.
The successful applicant will have excellent natural product chemistry skills, including in extraction, analysis, purification and structural elucidation. Experience of GC-MS, LC-MS and NMR are essential. Experience of working with terpenes, and more specifically triterpenes, is desirable.
Salary on appointment will be within the range £31,250 to £35,400 per annum depending on qualifications and experience. This is a full time post for a period of 17 months.
We are an equal opportunities employer, actively supporting inclusivity and diversity. As a Disability Confident organisation, we guarantee to offer an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for this vacancy. The John Innes Centre is also proud to hold a Gold Award from Athena SWAN and is a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme.